In 1895 the Latvian Union of Decorative Painters established the Decorative Painters School. In 1928 – 1944 the School’s title was “Vocational School of Latvia’s Decorative Painter Trade Promotion and Assistance Society.” From October 1944 to 1946 the School’s title was Riga Art Highschool; in February of 1945 the workshop of artist Roberts Tillbergs was incorporated in the school. On March 18, 1946, the school was given the name of Janis Rozentals, a prominent Latvian painter (1866 – 1916). The school’s official title from 1946 to 1998 was Janis Rozentals Art Highschool. From 1998 – 2002 the school was reorganized into Janis Rozentals Art College, but in March 18, 2002, renamed again into Janis Rozentals Art Highschool, the name it carries today.